Trump Pauses Tariffs on Canadian Goods Amid Deal with Ottawa
US President Donald Trump announced on August 18 that he would pause new 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days, citing a deal between the two countries. The tariffs were set to take effect at midnight, but Trump said Canada and the US had reached an agreement subject to finalizing documents.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney stated that 'substantial progress has been made, although there is important work still to be done.' He emphasized that Canada remains focused on building a stronger, more independent economy at home. The two countries' negotiators have been in intense talks for weeks.
The deal will reportedly include comprehensive market access for all American goods, economic security commitments, digital trade alignment, and other provisions. US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer's office said the agreement addresses US concerns related to duties on dairy products, alcoholic beverages, and motor vehicles. However, no further details were provided.
The existing 25% auto tariffs had been a sticking point in the negotiations, according to two industry sources familiar with the talks. The new tariffs would have applied regardless of whether Canadian goods qualify for preferential treatment under the US-Mexico-Canada trade agreement. Trade experts and industry officials warned that the new tariffs could lead to job losses and business closures in vulnerable sectors.
Trump's announcement also mentioned reviving the Keystone XL pipeline project, which was canceled by former President Joe Biden in 2021. The Distilled Spirits Council of the US applauded Trump's decision and called for a negotiated solution to return American spirits to Canadian retail shelves.